Loading...

Science - Key Stage 4

Separate Science GCSE:
OCR Gateway Biology B (J263), Chemistry B (J264) and Physics B (J265) – all studied at higher tier level only.
For each subject, students study three modules in Year 10 and a further two in Year 11 together with a Controlled Assessment. There are two examinations in the summer of Year 11 worth a combined 75% of total remarks, the remaining 25% being awarded for the Controlled Assessment. Separate grades are awarded for each GCSE. Assessments are made throughout both years in the form of homework, half-module and full-module tests, and students sit formal mock exams in December and July of Year 10 and December of Year 11.

Core and Additional Science:
OCR Gateway Science B (J261) is studied at Higher and Foundation tier levels in Year 10 and is referred to by teachers as Core Science. Students study one module (having already studied one module for this qualification in Year 9) and complete one Controlled Assessment. A highly focused revision programme is undertaken before students complete two examinations in May/June worth a combined 75% of total marks, the remaining 25% being awarded for the Controlled Assessment. Students are awarded a grade for the Core GCSE in August following Year 10. Resits may be taken at the end of Year 11 if necessary.

OCR Gateway Additional Science B (J262)
is studied at Higher and Foundation level in Year 11. Students study two modules and complete one Controlled Assessment. There are two examinations in May/June with marks being awarded in the same manner as in Year 10. The Core and Additional Science GCSE grades are entirely independent of each other. Both Separate Sciences and Core and Additional Science Higher tier are excellent preparatory courses for A level study.

BTEC Sciences:
A small number of students are identified as suitable for BTEC Science study at the start of Year 10, but most BTEC Science students at Wolgarston begin their studies at the start of Year 11. BTEC is considered to be the best option for those who prefer less exam-intensive courses or who prefer to study Science in work-related contexts. The bulk of the BTEC course is completed in a series of self-contained assignments with a single, newly-introduced exam in Year 11.